Blog BlogLovin Instagram Pinterest

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Dear Glucola...

...we are not friends.  And while we're at it, I'm no longer on speaking terms with the scale at the doctor's office, either.  In fact, I think maybe I'll start taking the "weight gain" section off of my weekly update.  Oy.

The glucola itself was not as bad as I anticipated.  I didn't get a choice on flavor - they just gave me the red fruit punch flavored one.  I kept it in the refrigerator for two weeks, and this morning about 25 minutes before I was going to drink it, I put it in the freezer for good measure.  Turns out that was a good idea - it was so cold that between the temperature and holding my nose the taste wasn't as bad as I anticipated.  You're supposed to drink all 50 grams within a five minute period, which I was worried about, but as it turns out I didn't need to be...I chugged the entire thing in less than 2 minutes.  Probably my cheerleader husband was partially responsible.  The whole time I was drinking, he was beating on the counter and yelling, "Chug! Chug! Chug!"  I felt like I was a 7-months pregnant whale at a frat party.  And then he was full of high fives when I finished.  Thanks, Danny!

Anyway, I digress (Did I use that in the correct context?).  So the glucola itself was not as bad as anticipated.  Did anyone ever take Dimetapp for anything when you were little?  It was always my favorite because it was the most delicious.  Anyway, glucola sort of tasted like a liquid form of Dimetapp on sugar crack.  Getting it down was easy - after the fact, when all of the sugar was just sitting on my stomach and churning, that was the hard part.  It took a LOT to keep that ish down.  The only thing that stopped me from yarfing was that they told me if I threw it up, I'd just have to drink it all over again.  No thanks.  So, I kept it down, arrived at my appointment early for the first time ever, and they drew my blood...a LOT of blood.  I'm already getting  a sweet bruise on my arm.  Hopefully that's the only time I'll have to do that.  :-)  If I fail, they'll let me know in 2-3 days.  If I pass, they'll tell me at my next appointment.  So, here's to hoping I don't hear from them until my next appointment in two weeks!  Side Note: I can't believe I've reached the point where I have to go to the doctor every two weeks.  NUTS.

I met with the doctor, and all is well with baby.  She's measuring perfectly, and her heartbeat was strong and steady at 139.  They also told me to start monitoring and counting her movements.  The doctor said that if she starts moving a lot, I'm to count her movements - she should be moving 10 times in a given hour.  It doesn't have to be every hour, because she has sleep cycles too, I just have to make sure that's happening once per day.  If she's moving more, it's not a problem, but if it's less, I'm supposed to try drinking a sugary drink and laying on my left side.  If that doesn't work, I'm to call the doctor.  Today I counted 12 movements in less than 5 minutes, so I don't anticipate us having any problems.  :-)

Hope everyone is traveling safely to be with your friends and family on this lovely day before Thanksgiving!  I'm doing some of my cooking tonight so that I can sleep in a little tomorrow, and then we have dinner plans with some friends.  We're hitting the road tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited!

Yay turkey!  And dressing.  And creamed corn, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole, fruit salad, many more items and delicious desserts.  Ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment

More from The Baum Squad:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...